SYCAMORE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
The Director of Operations provides leadership and support to the Head of Staff in the overall administration of Sycamore Presbyterian Church. Must be a Christian who exhibits a passion for God and a Christ-like spirit in their personal life and professional work. Responsible for overall administrative leadership to non-program staff and functions. Works in collaboration with church committees to oversee church finances, human resources, facilities and grounds, information technology, media & communications. Champions support and is an advocate for the vision of the church and through its work, enables all ministries to do their best work.
Administration & Human Resources
- Oversees the daily operations of Sycamore Presbyterian Church.
- Administers and ensures compliance with all church policies and procedures.
- Submits annual statistical report to the Presbytery.
- Along with the Personnel & Administration Committee (PAC) develops and administers the personnel policies and procedures of the Church including:
- Compensation & benefits programs oversight and management
- Processing and delivery of payroll
- Annual staff performance review processes
- Employment & recruitment (offers, onboarding and all related documentation).
- Maintenance of employee records
- Maintenance of current job descriptions for each church position
- Managing vendor relationships in support of church human resource administration.
- Serves as resource person regarding legal/regulatory and business matters of the church. Liaison to outside counsel and professional consultations, as needed.
- Serves as an administrative liaison to the Sycamore Presbyterian Church Preschool.
- Demonstrate a servant’s heart by having a willingness to perform other duties as needed.
- Works in close collaboration with the Physical Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees & Finance to:
- Create and implement policies for facilities usage
- Create and implement policies for routine maintenance of the physical facilities
- Implement policies for long-term improvement of the physical facilities
- Participate in long-range planning for physical facilities
- Administers and oversees day-to-day usage and maintenance of the buildings and grounds, according to policy established with the Physical Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees & Finance.
- Liaison to Board of Trustees & Finance regarding church insurance coverages (not related to HR employee benefits) and safety/security issues.
- Assumes a leadership role in managing facility and administrative system improvements
- Manages and oversees the columbarium including meeting with individuals and/or families wishing to select a niche, overseeing related records, preparation and management of niches and Columbarium in preparation for inurnments, and assisting Pastors, as needed, in related services.
- Manages the work of Bookkeeper in the receipt, deposit and disbursement of church funds.
- Oversees purchasing process, monthly financial reports, cash flow, payroll, annual audit, compliance with state and federal requirements, and serves as liaison to Board of Trustees & Finance.
- Monitors the current and ongoing financial health of the Church in partnership with Board of Trustees/Joint Finance Committee.
- Manages gifts to church, negotiable securities and bequests in accordance with church policy and procedure and in coordination with applicable groups or committees.
- Staff liaison for budget development, budget administration and reporting in close partnership with the Board of Trustees & Finance.
- Manages IT systems, including
- Responsibility for sourcing, purchase, installation and maintenance of new computer equipment and management of replaced equipment.
- Manages relationship with and is key point of contact with IT support vendors.
- Manages A/V and technology systems for sanctuaries, chapel and other areas of the church.
- Manages signage systems, including electronic sign messaging requests.
- Oversees purchase and management of church phone system, office machines and security system.
- Manages and maintains church web site.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Media Team.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of IT systems, Human Resource Management, Finance, Accounting.
- Ability to lead others (including volunteers) and be a team player.
- Ability to establish and foster exemplary relationships with staff and non-staff workers, committee leaders and members, church membership and the community at large.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor degree (degree in Business, Accounting, Economics, Finance, or related field preferred).
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in all aspects of church finances, church administration, operations management and leadership experience.
- Certified Church Administrator (CCA), financial management &/or IT experience preferred.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to: